{adventure is within}

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." - George Eliot.
It's took some time for me to figure this out, but I'm a runner. Not physically (although it is my favorite type of exercising), but I run from my dreams. There are so many things that I want to happen more than anything, but I'm lazy and unmotivated to achieve them. I choose to dwell on the things holding me back from following my dreams and use them as excuses rather than dwell on the gifts, opportunities, and blessings that the Lord has provided me with in order to reach these goals. Lately, I've been looking back on 2013 (which you can read about here!) and realizing all the things I have been able to do, be apart of, and how faithful our God is. But looking back has also shown me my lack of adventure and doing things I've always wanted to do.

I've been a huge advocate of "things that we deem "impossible" in your mind is redeemed "attainable" through Christ" (which I also wrote about here!), but I haven't so much been the person that takes their own advice. I know this truth, but do I radically live by it? No. Do I want to? Yes! There I go again with me wanting to do something, but not doing it. I guess what I'm trying to get at here is we shouldn't live in regret of things we did wrong or things we didn't do because we have abundant grace. Although there is grace, that doesn't mean we shouldn't take chances and walk out into the unknown. God calls us to uncomfortable situations. Like my old Young Life leader, Kristine, used to say, "get comfortable with being uncomfortable", and friends, I don't feel like I've seeked out putting myself in super uncomfortable situations in 2013. I feel like, if anything, I've said something that I wanted to do, then never mentioned it again because I had already decided that it probably wasn't going to happen. It's like I dropped a bomb somewhere and ran away from it as fast as I could to avoid getting hurt. In this case, from disappointment. See, I say I want to do things, but I don't follow up, so I just kind of put it on the back burner and let it simmer down until I don't care to achieve it anymore. 

Now I understand that sometimes we need to take a step back and be realistic, but have we ever thought maybe we're being too realistic and not the slightest bit ambitious?! I want ADVENTURE. I want LIFE. I want NEW EXPERIENCES. And what better time to do it then now? Sure, I'm only a 20-year-old college student, but God doesn't say, "Wait just a minute! Those dreams you have of going on a mission trip -- FORGET THEM! They won't happen ever, so don't even try." Gosh, I hope not. What the God I believe in says is, "Take up your cross daily and follow me!" And that sure as heck doesn't seem like an easy route. But if that's where all the fun and excitement (along with pain and suffering) occur, then COUNT ME IN. I don't want to keep on hoping for something to happen, I want it to actually happen.
So, friends, with 2014 newly upon us, I have been thinking about what lies ahead. I know the Lord will be faithful. I know the Lord will provide. I know awesome things will happen. But how will I ever know the true meaning of faith if I don't test the waters. Am I right? True faith is going into the unknown, not knowing what will happen. Trusting in the unseen. I desire to have that kind of faith. 
So after reviewing what I've done in 2013, I looked forward to what I know is going to happen and what I hope to happen. A lot of it consists of traveling, which is one thing I REALLY hope changes this year. I don't want to be held back from doing things because of money. Instead, I want to be smart and make these wishes come true. So, here they are (well the ones I know of right now):

  • What I know is going to happen:
    • UK Young Life College Spring Break trip to Southwind Young Life Camp in Ocklawaha, Florida.
    • Student Staff/Gynoskow Weekend trip to Chicago, Illinois.
    • Tates Creek Young Life Summer Camp trip to Windy Gap Young Life Camp in Weaverville, North Carolina.
    • Leader Weekend trip to Timberwolf Lake Young Life Camp in Lake City, Michigan.
  • What I hope is going to happen:
    • Serve on Summer Staff for a month at a Young Life camp in Colorado and visit my best friend Camille while out there. 
    • Visit my sweet brother Timmy who lives in South Carolina.
    • Study abroad in literally ANY Spanish-speaking country.
    • Work at Pine Cove Summer Camp in Tyler, Texas.
    • See a lot of things, meet a lot of people, learn a lot of stuff.
Even though this is a tentative and small list of ambitions for 2014, I tend to feel stressed when I sit here and look at it. I just look at each little bullet and tell myself, "well, that probably won't happen.." I get so caught up in things that tie me down and miss out on such freedom Christ has to offer. But for those who are having the same exact thought process as I am, I want you to know you're not alone. I'm in this inner battle of wanting to change your ways too. But more importantly, we're not alone. The Author and Perfector of our faith is in this with us. Right along side, guiding our every move. We just need to take a step out in trust. This might be small, but this past summer, when I made a reading list of 6 books (which was a big deal to me), and actually did it, I felt so great afterwards and proud of myself. There were so many blessing that came from achieving this goal -- one being finding out I love to read! All in all, it's worth it!

I can't seem to figure out what I'm going to do this summer (as you can see in the second list), but what I do know is that if I wait to long, none of them will happen. So, the time is NOW. Yeah, the cliche "if not now, when?" phrase actually does have significance here. Get out there. Follow your dreams. Don't let Satan hold you back and tell you that you can do it, because you CAN. Along the way, remember to not be discouraged. Some things don't work out, and that's okay. But work hard for the things you want and don't miss your chance. And how great is it that God will use you for His Glory through this journey?! He will use you and teach you things about yourself you never knew He could. I can't wait to look back on 2014 and be completely amazed at how good God was to me in helping me make my dreams come true. I want to adventure, and adventure is out there. Change your mindset and go do the "impossible", because adventure is within and won't happen until you decide to go for it. I know God will bless you and me along the way! Here's to transformations, trusting in REAL faith, and new adventures in 2014!

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure." - Joseph Campbell
... I say YES this time! :)


P.S. Here's a great article that was a huge encouragement to me about adventuring out there! Read if you'd like! http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/life-won’t-begin-your-next-milestone



No comments:

Post a Comment